We’re delighted to have had so many responses to our survey on Career pathways following doctoral research. Many thanks for sharing to all 5199 of you, and indeed all those who helped us to promote the survey. You’ve helped to ensure that we could reach so many people and build a career path picture that could inspire and interest both other researchers and those supporting PhD students and early career researchers to develop their skills and polish their CVs appropriately.
Now our hard work begins, processing all of the responses. 5 quick numbers that we’ve noticed already are:
- 60% decided to do doctoral study with the aim to become an academic
- 76% on completing doctoral studies initially pursued a career to become an academic
- 31% currently have a permanent position in academia
- 67% are still actively seeking a permanent academic role
- 86% said their current role uses transferable skills gained from their doctoral study
There is a lot more behind these numbers that we are yet to explore. Our thanks once again: we look forward to sharing more of the outcomes from this survey in the future, so watch this space!